- Pre-coffee, 7 am, trek to the barn (the robe part comes later).
- Feed and water goats, chickens, cats and dogs.
- Oops! Give the dogs Frontline for fleas.
- On the way back to the house, the dog passes me. He's long gone for now.
- Email technical writing client about proof. Notice footer must be fixed. Email graphic artist to fix it.
- Return phone calls to kids' soccer coaches. Practice starts next week.
- Dog comes back. Take Copper back to the pen and secure it more thoroughly.
- Upstairs for bath, coffee is cold. Put on robe and go downstairs to reheat it.
- Email is in from graphic artist. Call about number-sequence typo.
- Receive final proof and client's email approval.
This is how, when you work for yourself, you can end up in your robe at noon. OK, it's only 10:30, but to someone who likes to get up at 4 or 5, 10:30 might as well be lunchtime, and I'm still in my robe! Arghh.
So when a friend says, "I'd love to work for myself -- I can stay in my robe until noon," secretly smile and knowingly nod. Let her find out the hard way.